Monday, November 12, 2007

Poutine - Bon Anniversaire!

I spent a summer in Canada before I got to college. I actually suggest everyone ought to spend a summer in Canada. Especially if you don't know what the difference is between us and them (besides latitude, obviously).

I was in a French immersion camp run by Quebecois, and besides actually nailing my French down better than I did when I was in boarding school in Geneva, I did try one thing completely new and amazing: Poutine.

Poutine is celebrating 50 years in existence: here is a little excerpt from an article I pulled off of Fark:

The exact origin of poutine is unclear, but most stories place the date at 1957. Fernand Lachance, a restauranteur who referred to himself as the father of poutine, was asked by a customer to mix french fries and cheese curds together in the same bag.

Warwick, then replied: "Ça va te faire une maudite poutine" ("It's gonna make a hell of a mess"). The sauce was added later to keep the fries warm.

It has all of my favorite foods: Cheese, French Fries, and well, who doesn't like warm gravy? And on top of that it is finger food! I recommend all of you go to Montreal, either for the jazz fest or the winter festival, and dig in to some poutine.

While it is heart stopping and artery clogging, I still think the Hawaiian dish, loco moco could cause more arterial damage, with white rice, topped with a hamburger patty, a fried egg, and gravy.

No comments: