Sunday, March 9, 2008

Volunteer

Now that I am no longer working with MenuNetwork, I have decided to spend some free time volunteering. My excuse was that I never had enough time, but now I do, so no more excuses. Right now I am involved in three projects.

1) Hawaii Island Humane Society - I clean out all the cat litter boxes on Sunday, play with the kittens, and then I take all the dogs out for a run/walk. I listen to my ipod while I do this so I can broaden my literary horizons.



2) Hawaii has many feral cats. The weather is good, so they aren't killed off every winter. My island has a very strong spay and neuter program for feral cat so they don't propagate. The program is called Advocats, and volunteers go to specific locations around the island to feed the animals so they don't starve. So Thursday nights, I go to several locations around Costco to feed the animals. Some are so beautiful, I can't believe they don't have someone taking care of them.

On many occasions people put out food with rat poison to kill the cats, but they fail to recognize that feral cats are a HUMAN problem. It was humans who dumped them out here in the first place, either too lazy to find them a home, or for some reason didn't take them to the humane society.

3) The last thing I am doing is on my own time, but I am crocheting blankets for Project Linus. For the non-Americans or those who aren't familiar with Charlie Brown, Linus is the little blond who plays the piano and always carries a blanket around with him. The provide "love, a sense of security, warmth and comfort to children who are seriously ill, traumatized, or otherwise in need through the gifts of new, handmade blankets and afghans, lovingly created by volunteer “blanketeers.” I am a "blanketeer." Right now I am crocheting, but I hope to learn how to knit soon and make them with two sticks rather than one!

Okay, off to the Humane Society. Got some poop to clean, kittens to cuddle, and dogs to exercise!

update . . .

Just got back from the humane society. So much fun. I love playing with the dogs, some are so cuddly and wonderful, some are great at fetching, some are just plan so excited to be outside they can't focus on anything!

1 comment:

Carlos R. Cruz said...

Glad to hear that you're volunteering / in NGO area... keep it up!