Sunday, September 30, 2007

I haven't posted for a week because I have just been so busy! On Friday Hubby, Paul, and I went to this thing called "Taste of the Range." Over 60 restaurants, agriculture groups, and restaurants had booths where they each prepared a different kind of dish. There was pork, meat, goat, cow, and all sorts of cuts that were interesting like bottom sirloin and cheek meat.

Paul and my husband brought me oyster sushi while I was waiting in line for the bar. It was great, didn't taste like seafood, and just yummy. I went to look for it again once I got inside the ballroom area where all the booths were, and I saw that they had brought me Kohala Mountain Oyster Sushi. He He He. they were clueless. So cute. (click on the link if you still don't get it).

Paul and I got up early on Saturday to surf,and I seriously got my ass kicked. I am still not cutting left or right, just sliding down the wave straight on toward the share because I am still a beginner.

Well. The waves were steep. So every time I went to stand up,my board nosedived into the water and flipped me over. I got thrashed. Every single time. I didn't get better. Or learn. I just got a gallon of water up my nose.

Later that day we went to a trivia contest where you had to run down to this big stage and give answers. When they asked the question, "Where is Salsa from." I leapt up from my seat and ran down! I knew it was a trick question, because most people think it is a dance and music rhythm developed in Latin America, but it is really New York. Hubby has given talks at the University of Toronto about the birth of salsa in NY,so I knew I was spot on. There was even a Mark Anthony and Jennifer Lopez movie that came out this summer about the birth of salsa in NY, so I not only had my hot husband to know I was right, but all of Hollywood.

So Dana goes CHARGING down to the front of the stage, I grab the mike, and I say triumphantly, "NEW YORK!"

Then the bimbo says, Sorry you are wrong,that isn't it.

So I said she was wrong, and the audience is laughing at me, so my husband comes running down and starts giving the bimbo a lecture on salsa. Then my dumb brother randomly picks a country and says, "Isn't it from Cuba." She points at him, and says, we have a winner!!!!!!!!!"

I was pissed.

While there is some controversy because Cuba wants credit for it, even though most experts say salsa was born in NY. Much of the rhythm base comes from Son and Mambo (two CUBAN rhythms), but salsa is a fusion of jazz, samba, and rhythms from PR,DR, Venezuela, and Cuba. Wikipedia can tell you all about it.

Gotta love Hawaii:)

So anyway, Paul and I went Standup Paddle Surfing today. And that was fun! I didn't get so thrashed, but Paul took a huge chunk out of his foot. You could see the veins and stuff. Eww. So my surfing partner will be out a few days, at least until it heals enough. Moral, looks dorky, but wear the booties.


2 comments:

Ericita said...

OMG, poor Danita! I so knew salsa was originally from NY also!!! You have my support :) :)

Guisun said...

what a bimbo. i would have made a scene.