Thursday, October 25, 2007

notes from yesterday

Yesterday my husband, mother, and brother and I went up to Waimea for a Hawaiian Language and culture class. I was thoroughly disappointed.

I hadn't expected much as the class was free. The class was described as a language class in the newspaper, when I called it became a language and culture class, and then it was a listen to four guys sit around and play instruments. We were told we could ask questions, so I did, asking about the transmission of culture to the next generation, but then the instructor announced that enough questions, lets have them play music.

It was nice, but I am from Hawaii. I grew up with Hawaiian music. I was hoping to learn something. I think I might attend for one more class, but if it doesn't look like it is going to improve, I think I am going to not drive an hour to Waimea on Wednesday afternoons.

The highlight was seeing La`i Mitchell (well, now it is La`i Chong) and her new baby. She is still as gorgeous as ever, and her baby is adorable. We have solicited her to be the main character in a new short that we are filming. My father wrote it, it is horribly depressing, but since she has the biggest smile and the brightest blue eyes, it will be a nice contrast.

The film that Paul did a couple of week ends ago should be on YouTube soon. Will post the link when it is up.

No comments: